UMW Conference Annual Meeting
Saturday, October 6, 9:30-2:30 The UMW Conference Annual Meeting “The Power of Bold” will be held at our church. Registration begins at 8:00. Volunteers are needed to greet and welcome and park our guests. If you can help in any capacity, please contact Cindy Shelton. Registration is $20 with deadline for lunch by Sept. 24. Register online at www.ngumw.org or pick up a registration form from the UMW shelves in the church office.
September 3 – names for Baby Gifts to Missions to Susan Little or Sandra Norman
September 24– registration for meal for UMW Conference Annual Meeting, Sat. Oct.6, Rome First UMC
October 1 – Fair Trade orders due in church office
A letter from UMW General Secretary/CEO Harriett Olson
The UMW is a connect group. The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
At Rome First, we have a large and very active unit of UMW. Each year members undertake programs of study and action, with particular attention to mission and justice.
Don’t forget to shop in our Fair Trade Store (church office Break room)!
Fair Trade orders are due in church office before August 1. Next deadline: October 1. Questions? Contact Sondra Wilkins (706-291-1945). If there is something specific you want, please order it. You can Shop in the Fair Trade Store in the church office kitchen during church office hours. Currently we have ground coffee, whole bean coffee, Keurig cups, olive oil, cashews, cocoa and chocolate. Make out your check to the church and give it to Jo Ann.
UMW Opportunities at Rome First in small groups & circles
General meetings (4-6 times a year) for the total membership of UMW are at varied times to help fulfill our purpose in the areas of spiritual growth, education for mission, nurturing for community and social action.
UMW Connect Groups – Get Involved!
There are several active Connect Groups with the Rome First UMC unit of UMW. These include:
Circle 7: Meets on the 2nd Monday morning of the month at the church for fellowship and usually a spiritual growth discussion between Sept.-June.
Knitting Ministry Group: Meets on the 3rd Thursday morning of the month at the church for the purpose of knitting prayer shawls and other items of prayer-filled need. Facilitated by Nan Brewster and using the resource book: Knitting into the Mystery: a Guide to the Shawl-Knitting Ministry.
Mary-Martha Group: Meets on the 2nd Thursday morning of the month at the church all year, except in August and December when they have a dinner meeting and bring husbands and guests. Usually does one of the mission studies or a book from the Reading Program.
Morning Glories: Meets on the 4th Monday morning of the month at the church for fellowship and a spiritual growth or mission study between Sept.-May. Frequently has lunch together after their meeting.
Spiritual Growth Study Group: Meets on the 1st Thursday morning of even months at the church for in-depth study of a book from the Reading Program.
Circle 10: Women who are mostly confined to their residence, with whom circle leader and members of UMW keep in touch by phone, mail and personal contacts.
Local Mission Opportunities: These are listed on page 8 of the Rome First UMW Yearbook. Copies are available on the UMW Shelves in the Church Office.
For more information about any of these events or to join UMW, please contact: Cindy Shelton (706-622-2133), President, or Winnie Holland (706-291-4705), Mission Coordinator for Membership Nurture and Outreach.
SIMPLE WAYS TO SERVE: UMW LOCAL MISSION OPPORTUNITIES
- Community Kitchen: Serving hot meals to hungry people M-F the first full week of each month. Volunteers needed each day: food prep, serving and clean-up. Contact Melanie Baker (706-295-4985).
- Coupons: Current and recently expired coupons for Military Wives. Cut them out and put into the shoebox on the UMW book shelf in the church office. Contact Nancy Ivester (706-234-9642).
- Fair Trade Products: Purchase Fair Trade Products (coffee, chocolate, tea, snacks, olive oil, almonds, cocoa, etc.) from UMCOR/Equal Exchange through the church office. Fair Trade Store is located in the church office kitchen area. Contact Sondra Wilkins (706-291-1945).
- Faith & Deeds Community Health: Free healthcare for those without insurance several days a week. Please contact Barbara Earle (firstname.lastname@example.org) (706-295-6166).
- General UMW Meeting Projects: Varied projects at each UMW General Meeting: UMCOR kits, children’s and youth books, diapers, gift cards, etc. Watch the Herald and church posters for the specific item that is needed. Also varied projects within the subgroups.
- Hospitality House and Thrift Shop: Local shelter for women in crisis. For items needed and volunteering at the Thrift Shop – contact Georgia Burns (706-295-1516).
- Meals and More: Help pack and give out sack dinners on the 1st Tuesday afternoons of each quarter. Contact Jeanettia Rush (706-234-2531).
- Murphy-Harpst Children’s Centers: Join the Auxiliary for only $10 – dues are collected in the fall. Participate in the Auxiliary meetings monthly. Contact Tish Redwine (email@example.com ) (706-291-3902).
- Red Bird Mission, Beverly, KY: Bring your Campbell’s bar codes and Box Tops for Education to the UMW bookshelf in the church office and put in the basket. Contact Cindy Shelton (706-622-2133).
- Rome Action Ministries Food Pantry: Needs volunteers to do intake, pack food bags, distribute food and enter data in computer. Bring to the church, all year, Mac ‘n Cheese, cereal and Peanut Butter. Contact Cathy Aiken-Freeman (706-802-0508).